Jimi Cook, DVM, PhD, OTSC, has been chosen as a member of the University of Missouri System’s first Presidential Engagement Fellows class. Cook — the director of MU’s Thompson Laboratory for Regenerative Orthopaedics and the Mizzou BioJoint® Center — is one of just 15 University of Missouri system faculty members to receive the honor from President Mun Choi.
The fellowship was created to fulfill the university’s land-grant mission by sharing research discoveries with Missouri citizens in every county.
Cook has been one of MU’s most productive researchers. He holds 18 patents, including the Missouri Osteochondral Allograft Preservation System (MOPS) technology, and has seen four biomedical devices through FDA approval to human clinical trials. He is also the co-founder of Be The Change Volunteers, an organization dedicated to building schools in remote villages in the developing world.
Joining Cook in the first class of Presidential Engagement Fellows are:
- Diana Ahmad, history and political science, Missouri University of Science and Technology
- Joel Burken, civil, architectural and environmental engineering, Missouri University of Science and Technology
- Jimi Cook, Missouri Orthopaedic Institute, University of Missouri-Columbia
- Simon Friedman, School of Pharmacy, University of Missouri-Kansas City
- Andrew Granade, Conservatory of Music and Dance, University of Missouri-Kansas City
- Jane Greer, English and women’s and gender studies, University of Missouri-Kansas City
- Beth Huebner, criminology and criminal justice, University of Missouri-St. Louis
- Catherine Johnson, mining and nuclear engineering, Missouri University of Science and Technology
- Rebecca Johnson, Research Center for Human-Animal Intervention, University of Missouri-Columbia
- Rose Marra, School for Information Science and Learning Technologies, University of Missouri-Columbia
- Melissa Mitchum, plant sciences, University of Missouri-Columbia
- Patricia Parker, biology, University of Missouri-St. Louis
- Chris Pires, biological sciences, University of Missouri-Columbia
- Angela Speck, physics and astronomy, University of Missouri-Columbia
- Todd Swanstrom, political science, University of Missouri-St. Louis
For more information about Presidential Engagement Fellows program, visit: https://www.umsystem.edu/president/presidential_engagement_fellows.